What is ASC?
ASC stands for Fisheries Stewardship Council. It was founded in 2010 by the Dutch Sustainable Trade Initiative). It is an organization with a global impact.
ASC aspires to be the world´s leading certification and labeling program for responsible farming aquaculture. ASC´s primary responsibility and goal is to manage and establish global standards for Responsible Farming.
• Works with producers, marine processors, retail and food companies, scientists, conservation groups and consumers in the aquaculture sector,
• Asc rewards seafood through labeling in seafood farming,
• Best environmental and social choice when purchasing seafood
• To contribute to sustainable marine markets.
ASC (Aquaculture Stewardship Council) is an organization that manages different certification and labeling programs in the field of aquaculture. The Netherlands-based Sustainable Trade Initiative was established in 2010 as a result of IDH joining forces with WWF (World Wildlife Fund). ASC, an independent and non-profit institution serving at an international level, aims to be the world´s leading certification body in all kinds of seafood farming. Since its inception, ASC has established its own working system to develop, operate, manage, review and revise standards on seafood. Every private or public enterprise operating in this field can prove to its stakeholders that its work is in certain standards by obtaining ASC certificate.
What is ASC Certificate, Why is it Necessary?
Fish as a food is an ideal food source to feed our growing planet. It is a high protein, low fat, healthy and nutritious food. Therefore, with the increasing population rates, the demand and consumption of fish is increasing all over the world. However, although three quarters of it is covered with water, fish stocks in our world are not endless and traditional wild game fishing methods cannot meet this demand. Even with sustainable practices, marine fisheries have reached the limit of supply. In this situation, aquaculture emerged as the most suitable solution. Such practices have the capacity to meet global demand while reducing pressure on game fisheries. Aquaculture, whose importance and necessity has increased in recent years, is the fastest growing food production system in the world, and more than half of the fish consumed globally already comes from aquaculture. However, the rapid increase in demand for farmed fish presents its own problems. When aquaculture is not well managed, it can have a number of adverse effects, including poor site management, water pollution, degradation of local ecosystems and poor working conditions. The faster the aquaculture industry grows, the greater the potential impact on the environment and local communities. Taking action to minimize these negative effects and to produce a sustainable solution to the problems, ASC encourages a better managed fish farming, while minimizing negative environmental and social impacts, while ensuring that the increasing demand can be met more easily. While doing this, it gives a valid ASC certificate to businesses that meet the requirements by putting forward various standards and regulations.
Make a Difference with Asc;
Asc is much more than a standard. Fish farming takes a fundamental approach,
Asc standards target science-based multi-stakeholder and performance measures
Minimizes the environmental and social traces of commercial aquaculture by considering industrial effects,
Promotes responsible practices with a consumer label
What Advantages Does ASC Certificate Provide?
An enterprise operating in the field of aquaculture can obtain a wide range of advantages while fulfilling many requirements by obtaining ASC certificate. We can list the advantages of ASC Certificate as follows:
1. Every business that receives an ASC certificate fulfills its legal obligations in the fields of environment, health, safety and many more.
2. It supports the protection of water resources.
3. It prevents the endangerment of animal health and the emergence of various diseases. Because businesses that managed to get the ASC Certificate, unnecessary chemistry because they provide many standard items.
It can minimize the use of drugs such as saline or antibiotics.
4. Responsible use of products such as feed, care products and the like for animals is ensured.
5. It contributes to the protection of the natural environment, marine ecosystem and biodiversity.
6. One of the greatest contributions of the ASC Document to nature and the environment is undoubtedly to ensure the protection of species, namely populations.
7. ASC standards also enable companies to take part in many social responsibility activities.
8. Every company with ASC Certificate gets one step ahead of its competitors in the market and gets a chance to enter new markets.
What is Required for ASC Standards?
• Compliance with laws
• Protection of the natural environment and biological diversity
• Protection of water resources
• Conservation of species diversity and inhibition of wild population
• Responsible use of animal feed and other resources
• Animal health (unnecessary drug use)
• Social responsibility (especially attention to child labor and worker rights)
What are the ASC Certificate Benefits?
You have many reasons to participate in the Asc program, the main ones being;
• Maintaining its position in the current market and opportunity for new markets
• Increasing trust and Market value among consumers within the industry
• Provides competitive advantage
How to Get ASC Certificate?
ASC Certificate can only be obtained from institutions that have certification authority in this field and have the necessary accreditation. Assistance can be obtained from companies that provide training, consultancy and certification services during the preparation, implementation and follow-up of the requirements of the ASC standards within the organizations that want to obtain certificates. Because ASC requires having a certain sectoral capability and experience. Many companies provide support to businesses as a package program (standard scope, training, application, certification, etc.) in all steps related to the ASC certificate. Meanwhile, ASC has a total of 11 different certification programs covering 17 different marine products. Businesses can apply for certificates for products ranging from freshwater fish to salmon, from sea bass to sea bream, from shrimp to seaweed and more, depending on their field of activity.
“As Aşan Certification Institution, we provide services to you in all processes. You can contact us to have detailed information.”