Food Safety Management System (GGYS) in Seed Production
The gradual increase in the world population, the progress of industrialization, the rapid migration of people from villages to cities, especially in recent years, raise a very important issue for the whole world: food security. Since nutrition is one of the most basic vital needs for humans, each stage of the food chain has become important. Because food-related hazards can occur in any link of this chain, starting from seed production to wholesale or retail outlets.
The ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System (GGYS), which determines the basic requirements for food safety for all organizations in the food chain, draws a general framework in this regard. This standard, seed producers, food processing organizations; It includes operators carrying out transportation and storage operations and food outlets. This standard also constitutes a basis for any organization that produces all kinds of packaging, cleaning materials, additives or equipment related to foods.
Each stage of the food chain has its own importance in terms of safety. But it can be said that the seeds, which are the beginning of the chain, are more important since they concern the whole process. In this context, GGYS in seed production should be handled separately.
What is GGYS in Seed Production?
ISO 22000 covers all public and private sector organizations that produce seeds. For this reason, these organizations should also follow the following steps in the context of FSMS in seed production:
• Establishing an effective FSMS
• Documentation of every issue concerning the system
• Implementation of the practices determined for GGYS in seed production
• Making the applications related to GGYS permanent
• Continuous monitoring of GGYS issues in seed production and updating when necessary
General Conditions of GGYS in Seed Production
Regardless of which seeds it produces, each organization has to define to what extent the GGYS covers the processes it creates. In this context, the areas where seed production is made, the seeds themselves, product categories and related seed production processes are within this scope.
Organizations with GGYS in seed production are expected to fulfill the following conditions:
• Within the scope of the GGYS, it should be guaranteed that the dangers that may arise regarding food safety will not harm the consumers in any way.
• One of the most important issues of GGYS in seed production is that important information about food safety should be transferred to other organizations in the food chain.
• All developments, practices and updates regarding the GGYS in seed production throughout the organization should be reported.
• Developments in technology, changes in needs and demands, new legal regulations, etc. may necessitate a change in the GGYS. In this case, the necessary updates and revisions should be made without delay, and the necessary information should be given to the relevant places and people.
GGYS Scope in Seed Production
When seed producers want to implement a valid and effective FSMS, they have to comply with some rules on different issues, in addition to the conditions stated above. At this point, we can say that the following issues are very important for GGYS in seed production by increasing from ISO 22000 to the year:
• Management Responsibility: The top management of the enterprise should lead the implementation of a FSMS. In this context, it is necessary to establish a food safety policy and take steps to use business resources in this direction.
• Resource Management: Manpower is the most important resource in seed production. For this reason, it is necessary for the employees to receive training related to the work they do and to be aware of the GGYS. In addition, since the business infrastructure and working environment are also important for GGYS, these resources are made to provide maximum benefit.
• Safe Product Planning and Realization: Within the scope of the GGYS in seed production, each producer must plan, implement, manage and monitor all necessary processes in order to produce safe products. We can say that the following issues are important in this title:
• Prerequisite programs
• Performing hazard analyzes
• Establishment of the food safety team
• Determination of product features
• Preparation of flow charts and process stages
• Identification of hazards and determination of risk levels
• Creating the HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) plan
• Implementation, verification and good practice of the GGYS Putting the business into use: Trainings from these main users on the most effective applications, analyzes and general improvements of the FSMS they have prepared. It is of great importance that the GGYS system is correct. Showing the training of the people who will make these warnings in this regard. In terms of continuous improvement, the basis of ISO 9001 Quality Management System can be accepted.
“As Aşan Certification Body, we provide you with an integrated service. Contact us to have detailed information.”