Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA)
Today, many international companies or brands generally supply their products or services from outside their headquarters. These companies, which have a large number of suppliers, have difficulties in evaluating large or small suppliers in various categories. Therefore, more effective solutions are needed in evaluating the adequacy of suppliers´ working environment, workplace conditions and employees´ social rights. Because, especially companies that produce in their factories want to follow a correct strategy both to compare themselves with their competitors and to ensure compliance with international standards. In this context, the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA) program created by INTERTEK has become an advanced assessment framework for companies that is more transparent and based on continuous improvement.
The Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA) program enables companies to efficiently evaluate workplace conditions with the right techniques. While doing this, it uses common and accepted industry standards. Workplace Conditions Assessment thus provides a powerful and cost-effective solution for companies and facilities that want to improve themselves by considering best practices.
The Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA) is undoubtedly a very effective and powerful tool for evaluating, benchmarking and continuously improving supplier workplace conditions. Companies do not have to spend extra time or effort to evaluate their suppliers with the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA). A web-based platform supporting the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA) program automates audit processes and increases efficiency across the entire supply chain.
Scope of Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA)
We can list the subjects that the program evaluates about a workplace as follows:
- Labor: Child labor or forced labor is at the forefront of the issues evaluated under this heading. In addition, discrimination in the workplace, discipline, all kinds of harassment or abuse, the right of workers to organize and work contracts are also discussed.
- Wages and hours of work: Working hours and wages of workers; In addition, social and fringe benefits are also evaluated under this title.
- Health and safety: Measures to be taken regarding health and safety in the workplace, emergency action plans, regulations on chemicals and dangerous substances, etc. are also within the scope of the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA).
- Management systems: Documentation, workplace records, feedback from workers, inspection and corrective actions are evaluated under this heading.
- Environment: One of the most important issues for the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA) is the environment. Environmental management systems, greenhouse gas emissions, waste management and compliance with the laws on these issues are included in the environmental title.
Advantages of Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA)
- Firms integrated into the program gain advantages in:
- Workplace working conditions can be made more comfortable, healthier and more productive.
- With the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA), a better decision-making mechanism can be created based on real-time data and information management.
- It makes it easier to be a preferred supplier in the market as it fully complies with the best practices in the industry.
- As a more transparent and trust-based business relationship can be built with the Workplace Conditions Assessment (WCA), better and longer-term partnerships with suppliers can be formed.
- It is possible to reduce the loss of time and audit fatigue arising from repetitive continuous audits.
- Motivation is increased with the awards and certificates presented to suppliers who successfully pass the audits required by the program.
In recent years, the management approach that is more ethical and considers the rights of the employees; Accordingly, with the international importance of better working conditions, this program has become more valuable for companies. Companies that are included in this program and pass the audits successfully can both build a more efficient, safe and healthy working environment, increase their competitiveness in the market and strengthen their prestige and brand image. In addition, integration with quality and environmental management systems, which are very basic and essential such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, can be achieved more quickly and easily. Companies that want to be included in WCA should ensure that some of their personnel receive training on this subject before the audits. For this, support can be obtained from accredited organizations that provide training, consultancy and certification services related to WCA.